HEIDI'S PICK SIX
1. Which of your characters is your favorite?
2. Tell me about your travels.
3. Coffee, tea, or milk?
Tall Cafe Mocha with whipped cream and a shot of raspberry. It's not really coffee, but I still like to pretend. I also love Darjeeling tea, the stronger the better.
4. What else can you do besides write?
5. Who are you reading right now?
I'm reading Jorge Borges and Gabrial Garcia Marquez for a class on non-western literature, and I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at night before I go to bed.
6. Pop culture or academia?
7. What is the toughest scene you ever wrote?
My first sex scene in a novel. I kept looking over my shoulder to see if my mother (who lives forty miles away) was going to pop into my room and say "oh, horror!"
8. Where do you find your inspirations to write?
Music, movies, books, paintings, cities...it's a big list. I get so many good experiences from different art forms that it's like a drug. I want to share that feeling with someone else. I can't play an instrument or be a painter, so my contribution has to come from writing. If I can make a faceless stranger feel good at the end of his day because of a story I wrote, then I feel like I've done something right.
9. Food you could eat everyday.
10. Are you into sports or other physical activities?
11. What kind of music speaks to you?
12. Do you outline your stories or do they just take you along for the ride?
I have to outline so my stories don't take me for a ride! If I get too many ideas in my head at once, and I haven't planned where my story is going to go, I can send my plot off the rails really quick. I envy writers who can just sit down in front of the computer and go. I wish I had their discipline, but until I do, the whole story gets sketched out on paper first.
13. Celebrity crush.
Matthew McConaughey. Mmmm....and just....mmmm....
14. Who are the biggest influences on your work?
15. Do you still watch cartoons?
Jaleigh Johnson lives and writes in the Champaign area of Illinois. Her debut novel, The Howling Delve, was published in 2007 by Wizards of the Coast. Her short fiction has appeared in various small presses. Her story "Albatross Dark" is in the Fantasist Enterprises' anthology Sails and Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy.
Sails and Sorcery:Tales of Nautical Fantasy